ARTICLE

Injury patterns and rates of Costa Rican CrossFit® participants - a retrospective study


Guillermo Escalante 1 , Chris R. Gentry 1 , Ben D. Kern 2 , Gregory R. Waryasz 3
1 California State University San Bernardino, USA
2 University of Louisiana Lafayette, USA
3 Massachusetts General Hospital Division of Sports Medicine, USA

Abstract

CrossFit® has been defined as a constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement strength/conditioning program that has seen a large increase in popularity. Few studies have specifically investigated either injury patterns, injury incidence (per 1000 hours), and/or injury prevalence sustained in the sport.
Material and Method. Eighty-eight males (31.3 ± 8.4 yrs, 1.74 ± 0.06 m, 79.45 ± 12.02 kg) and 71 females (31.3 ± 9.1 yrs, 1.62 ± 0.07 m, 60.75 ± 9.37 kg) filled the survey to completion and were included in this investigation. The survey covered demographics, length of time performing CrossFit®, average number of days per week/minutes per workout performing CrossFit®, injuries obtained during CrossFit® within the last 12 months, and specific characteristics of injuries sustained. This was a descriptive survey study.
Results. Participants reported an average of 4.3 ± 0.9 CrossFit® workouts per week at an average of 1.19 ± 0.37 hours per workout. More than half of the participants (50.3%) reported only doing CrossFit® as their mode of exercise; the other 49.7% reported doing sports such as running/swimming/weightlifting. Seventyfour participants reported 127 CrossFit® related injuries, yielding an injury prevalence of 46.5% and an estimated incidence of 3.3 per 1000 hours. Of the 127 injuries reported, the most commonly injured body parts were the shoulder (33.1%), low back (18.1%), knees (12.5%), wrists (10.2%), and elbows (5.5%). Only 1 case of rhabdomyolysis (0.8%) was reported. There was a significant relationship between getting injured and length of time in doing CrossFit® (p < 0.01) and getting injured and participating in CrossFit® competitions (p = 0.02).
Conclusion. The injury incidence rates in this study are similar to those reported in other CrossFit® and weightlifting studies and less than those reported in American football and soccer studies. Participants that compete in CrossFit® competitions and have been doing CrossFit® for longer periods of time are also more likely to sustain an injury related to CrossFit®.


Key words:

crossfit, injury rate, weightlifting, injury prevalence


Full article:

Injury patterns and rates of Costa Rican CrossFit® participants - a retrospective study


Copyright

The publication, reproduction, modification, display or transmission of materials (including the banner / the logo) contained in the www.medicinasportiva.ro website is allowed solely with the MedicinaSportiva.Ro’s written approval.


The User is allowed to copy the material solely for his own personal use, excluding any use for advertising, commercial purposes, etc. This website’s information is at the User’s disposal for documentation and acquisition of knowledge, not for commercializing it.


Permanent link: Users can include one or several links to this page.
Note

S.Ro.M.S's web section is freely created and hosted on www.medicinasportiva.ro  -  according to Terms & Conditions


Back ↑ top
We use cookies! By continuing navigation, we assume you agree to this.  Read Confidentiality, Terms & Conditions! [x] Accept